Thursday, December 16, 2010

Round-up of Posts Swirling Around in my Head


The Mass was celebrated at my house last week....over and over again. Granted, it may not be the real thing, but it is certainly sincere. Once there was a bishop presiding, but usually it was just a priest. There was even a real homily!

It all began with a procession, followed by a brief Liturgy of the Word, read by M-the only real reader in the bunch. She propped up my old bible and read from it. This was followed by the Gospel, complete with Alleluia. Then, six year old, D., the designated priest, preached a homily about Jesus giving His mother to the disciple John from the cross. Father D told us that Jesus meant to give all Christians his mother.

That is exactly how he said it.
Here is our bishop. In this picture he is speaking with Juan Diego on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. 

This was followed by the offertory in which many plastic plates and cups were brought up, including a Nemo plate that was a big hit with the two Church ladies in attendance (that would be M and A). An abbreviated, yet accurate, Eucharist prayer was said and communion distributed to many imaginary parishioners. A solemn Salve Regina was sung after communion and then a final blessing.

The "Mass" ended with another procession complete with Holy God We Praise Thy Name---or something that sounded very much like it.

Imaginary play just doesn't get any better than this!

_________________________

M. has been sick with some sort of stomach virus. I naively cling to the hope that it stops with her. We'll see.
You know how kids handle sickness differently. Some are sort of sweet and endearing, others, not so much. M is the sweet type. She smiles and sighs as you comfort her. She rests happily in front of a TV, content to watch a video or two. She has her not-so-sweet moments too, but for the most part M draws you in to her, inviting your sympathy and care. 
In a typical M moment yesterday, she paused to sit on the bottom step. Not wanting to go up to her room, not wanting to venture to the couch, content to sit on the step as long as I sat with her. She leaned on me and sighed.
I was not so content, though, and wanted to get her settled on a chair with a bucket next to her, and "get some things done" (isn't this always in the back of a mother's mind?...it is mine...sigh!). 
So, in an effort to get moving I asked "What do you want, sweetie?"
"Prayer"
Not sure I heard right I asked "Prayer?"
"Pray for me" she says. 
So we prayed part of our Christmas Novena, while she lay her head on my lap. 
She was right. That was what she needed. She carefully got up and walked to the couch to settle in and wait for her stomach to settle...or not. 
Well, that was much better than "getting things done". New lesson learned. 

____________________________

So, I bravely cut my girls' hair last week. Aren't you proud of me? My mother tells the now famous (in our family) story of cutting my older sister's hair when she was no more than five. Margie's grateful response? "You ruined my life!" 
This is the legacy that I must overcome. 
Last week was about the fourth time that I attempted haircuts at home. The other three times I timidly trimmed centimeters off of their length. This time I boldly cut INCHES. You should have seen the hair on the floor. I must say, the cuts turned out cute! Much cheaper than those kids beauty parlors...and I think I did a better job keeping my squirmy ones still! 
Aren't they cute? We like to sing the "Sisters" song from White Christmas...with our own words, of course. "Sisters. Sisters."



__________________________

A week ago I promised to complete the list of our Advent activities, but instead I have all of the above swirling in my head and begging to be written down. So, I must promise again to complete my Advent activities list. In the meantime, here is a picture of our nightly procession: 


We sing O Come, O Come Emmanuel as we process upstairs to the bedrooms. The LED candles go in their windows and they hop in bed. This particular procession was on the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, thus, the flowers.


Our picture of OLG is hung at the top of our stairs, now called Tepeyac Hill. The kids stopped there and left their flowers, and a couple of the candles on a little table. Each night, now, they stop and interrupt their hymn to say "Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us!" and then continue to their rooms. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am so glad you wrote - and shared - all of this. One was more amazing than the other.

    P.S. We just watched White Christmas the other night, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty--we haven't even watched White Christmas yet because my copy was purchased in the UK (region 2) and our DVD player is region 1!!! Drat! None of my Christmas movies work!

    ReplyDelete