Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Good books never really end.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that my friend over at New Poor Zone did a review of The Lonesome Gods which inspired me to pick it up again. Go read hers words too!

The problem with nearing the end of a good book is that you are driven to keep reading.  Yet, sometimes you dread for the story to be over. I guess this only happens when the book is uplifting, edifying in some way. This book is. It tells the story of a young boy who loses his only remaining parent, his beloved father, on a wagon trip to California. The father is killed by his maternal grandfather's henchman who then plot to leave the boy to die in the desert. But they underestimate him. He survives and grows into a strong, virtuous, educated man who must face these enemies again. He is self educated, learning by reading, listening, watching. So much of the story led me to ponder how to educate my kids, and how to raise a man.

This is the cover on my copy...I love the parasol lady....it looks like a 70's made for TV movie.
I first encountered Louis L'Amour in college. I found a book on a sale table at the Cal State Long Beach Student Bookstore. I judged it by it's cover and threw it on the stack of things I was buying. Then, I read it in a day. It was called "Last of the Breed" and it was the first of many Louis L'Amour books that I would read in a day. After being hooked I joined one of those book clubs that you find in the back of magazines. Each month I got my new leather bound copy with Louis L'Amour written in gold on the binding. I can remember the little leap of joy I felt when I saw the cardboard container on my front porch. And often, the book was finished before I finally turned my lights out that night (usually far too late in the night!).

These books helped me define what a real man was. And how a woman should be treated. Louis L'Amour's heroes were always striving for virtue, though they weren't perfect. They respected women, loved their country, and fought to do the right thing no matter how difficult.

As you can tell. I am a fan. I highly recommend reading at least one Louis L'Amour. Not all his books were westerns, in fact, one of my favorites is the tale of a 12 century warrior. And many are kid friendly books. D is listening to two of them on tape. He has War Party practically memorized by now!

And about my dilemma....keep reading and face the end of the book...the good news is that you can always read the book again 20 years later. This is my third time tackling my Louis L'Amour collection. I think I will read this one next.

UPDATE: Here is one of the great quotes from The Lonesome Gods that made me ponder education:
"My friend," he said, "I do not know what else I shall leave my son, but if I have left him a love of language, of literature, a taste for Homer, for the poets, the people who have told our story - and by 'our' I mean the story of mankind - then he will have legacy enough." . . . The Lonesome Gods

3 comments:

  1. I just read this to my hubby. He liked the sound of it, too. How about Sally? The kid friendly ones...do you recommend one to get started for her? She has a ferocious appetite for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, I laughed at the 70's made for t.v. movie image! That is what I was thinking before I read your line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patty,

    There is one on the Louis L'Amour website about Echo Sackett that might be good for Sally. I think it is called Ride the River. Go to the link in the post that says "many are kid friendly". Remember, though, since they are westerns and frontier tales there is always some level of violence. Bad guys get killed, and sometimes the good guys. But it is never graphic or gratuitous. D has not been bothered by it, but he like war movies and stuff like that. Hope you guys enjoy Louis like we have! I converted Jim on our honeymoon. :)

    ReplyDelete