Monday, August 1, 2011

Just saying...

NOTE: The pictures have nothing to do with the text. They are just there to look pretty. 

So, I was thinking. If the Tea Party is holding the economy, their congressmen, and the country hostage, what are they using for weapons?

Their votes?


....and a mighty weapon it is ... when held in the hands of an informed citizen. I can see why Washington is frightened!

The kids hiking Mount Diablo. The pose was D's idea. 


Since this is my "commonplace" book for the time being, here is another quote from my Louis L'Amour book (which I finally finished! and by the way, the author notes at the end were almost as fascinating as the book itself!)

The main character, Kerbouchard, is reflecting on his friendship with a woman who was very influential in parts of the society of Cordoba:

We had met as equals, rarely a good thing in such matters, for the woman who wishes to be the equal of a man usually turns out to be less than a man and less than a woman. A woman is herself, which is something altogether different than a man. 
For the record, when Kerbouchard uses the word "equal" he isn't referring to being equal in dignity, or equal in intelligence...this sort of equality he took for granted. He was referring to "sameness" ...specifically having the same role.

I recalled this quote over the weekend when Jim and I got into a discussion of weak priests, and weak fathers/husbands who have neglected their role as leaders. We noted that often, at their side, were women content to take over that role. In the case of the father/husband that woman is usually his wife, sometimes his mother. In the case of a priest, that woman is the DRE, a major donor to the parish coffers, or even the parish secretary.

The whole discussion also brought back two stories that impacted my thinking while studying theology and catechesis at Stuebenville.

The first was the story my mentor, the head of the Catechetics department, told of her own experience as a parish DRE. She was convinced that the priest had to play a major role in the catechesis of the children or it wouldn't work. She was determined to have him intimately involved, so, rather than manipulate, or lecture, she invited....over and over again. She invited him to administer the sacraments, to speak to the children, to administer the sacraments, to say Mass, to administer the sacraments. Years later, he told her that she had helped him to live his priesthood more faithfully.

She didn't lead. She helped him to lead.

Another story was told to me by a friend about a couple he knew. She was her husband's superior in both intellect and education (did that sound sort of Jane Austen-y? I thought so...I am reading Jane now too!). However, the wife was convinced that her husband...and thus her marriage...could only be happy if he was the leader. So she found ways to help him lead, offering her expertise in a way that never left him feeling that she was "in charge". He led, she was his "helpmate", they benefited from her education and intellect, and they were happily married.

D can be found all over the world posing as Blessed Pier Giorgio. 


One final (I think) quote from The Walking Drum, by Louis L'Amour. It is in two parts so I can blabber on about my take on the thought: 

Up to a point a man's life is shaped by the environment, hereditary, and movements and changes in the world about him;
As a parent, this is the part that is mine. Now, I can't do much about the hereditary part anymore....I did my very best when I chose my husband...but the environment is clearly mine. And the the movements and changes in the world? Well, I determine how I respond to these things....which in turn effects how my children see the world about them. 

then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds. 

Then there comes the day when the parent must let go and let the child become the man or woman he or she chooses to be. Of course, my goal is that my children consult God in these choices, but ultimately it is up to them to do so...to choose to follow God's law, to seek His Wisdom, to continue on the path of virtue. 

Now, for my part, I must impart a love of God, a love of learning, and a deep conviction that these two things are his (my child's) resonsibility. I can't do their praying for them, I must pray that they do it themselves. I can't teach them anything unless they choose to learn.  



1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I LOVE your thoughts here! And that first quote? It could not have been more beautifully written.

    I've been in the mood for some Jane Austin lately, too!

    ReplyDelete