Monday, July 22, 2013

WhatWe'reReading

My mind has been on books lately. Part of the reason for that is that we are enjoying such great family reading these days. And since I can't seem to join in any of the What We're Reading meme's (because I keep forgetting), I will just start my own today. 

Here is our current list: 


We are reading two book aloud as  family most nights: 




To the Far Blue Mountains by Louis L'Amour
The story of Barnabas Sackett and his adventures in both England and the New World in the early 1600's.



Saint Louis and the Last Crusade  by Margaret Ann Hubbard
We have been reading these Vision saint books during our family prayer time for several years now. Just this past year or so I began recording my reading each night. We now have three saint books and both our Advent and Lenten read aloud recorded!



The Silver Chair by CS Lewis
During our lunch or tea time the kids and I have been reading from the Narnia series (skipping the books we had read in the past: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and The Dawn Treader). I think we have one left after this. 




Carry On Mr Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham, narrated by Jim Weiss. 
It was a sad day when we finished listening to this recording of the classic book about the famous (at least I think he is famous) navigator of the late 1700's. It is really the story of a young boy who learns how to "sail by ash breeze" and that carries him through a lifetime of study, learning, and achievement. It is very inspiring, though sad at times. 


Forget the movie, get this one at Audible! Before Carry on Mr. Bowditch, there was Bilbo....
and Gandalf, 
and Gollum

"What's he gots in his pocketses!"
sorry...couldn't help myself.

You must get the ONLY UNABRIDGED RECORDING, narrated by Rob Inglis. 
Talk about sadness when the book is done....we were practically distraught! And very tempted to continue on to Rob Inglis' recordings of the Lord of the Rings. 
But, these kids are not ready for that yet. Too soon. 
By the way, our rule for these movies is "you can see the movie when you have read the book on your own."

This blog post has gone much longer than I expected, so I will save the rest of our reading (my personal reading and Jim's books) for another blog post. 

Day 1, conquered! 

Go see all the other daily-blogging-warriors at Conversion Diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment