Wednesday, August 28, 2013

"You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness."



In light of yesterday's post about the dangers of the "silliest time in one's life", I wanted to share this quote from St. Augustine on his feast. In his famous Confessions, he spoke of his love of created things and how they kept him from the love of God. 
Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you!  You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you.  In my unloveliness I plunged into the lovely things which you created.  You were with me, but I was not with you.  Created things kept me from you; yet if they had not been in you they would not have been at all.  You called, you shouted, and you broke through my deafness.  You flashed, you shone, and you dispelled my blindness.  You breathed your fragrance on me; I drew in breath and now I pant for you.  I have tasted you, now I hunger and thirst for more.  You touched me, and I burned for your peace.

from The Confessions of St. Augustine 

May all the flashing, shining, lovely things in our life point us to the One Who loves us first and best.

Happy Feast of St. Augustine!

****
So, my son called me yesterday. 

For the first time. 

No he isn't away at college---he's only nine for goodness sake. 

But he heard Father at Mass yesterday, on the Feast of St. Monica, mother of St. Augustine, give everyone some homework: 
call, write, hug your mother. 

So he picked up the upstairs phone and dialed my cell phone just to tell me that he loved me and that he would give me a hug as soon as he saw me. 

I was downstairs. 

And he asked first. 

What a good boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment