Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What We're Reading Wednesday (late afternoon/evening)!

I am joining the folks over at www.housewifespice.com for a late What We're Reading Wednesday link up. 


What we're reading aloud these days:

A month or so ago we started reading aloud from The Story of Trapp Family Singers as part of our evening routine. We chose the book as much for Jim and I as for the kids. I had read the book years ago, on the eve of my move to Steubenville to study theology. So reading it again, as a wife and mother, was interesting. The kids have enjoyed it mostly, and though it isn't written for children there have been many funny scenes and life lessons for them. 

If your only connection with the Trapp family is through the movie The Sound of Music, you will be surprised and enchanted. Though the details were enhanced for the sake of excitement in the movie, in real life the decision and the consequences of escaping the Nazi occupation of Austria were, I think, even more moving. 

But that is just the beginning of the book. You will learn all about their life in America as well. I have done very little on-the-fly editing as I have read aloud, but I am approaching the most moving chapter of the book (which includes a death scene) and I am doing more editing at this point. You'll have to judge you audience….or just read it for your own pleasure!


For our lunch-time, tea-time, any-time reading we have returned to one of our favorite families, the Moffats! The Moffat Museum is our last Moffat book (though some of them were read to one kid, rather than all three so we may revisit one or two others!)

Janey Moffat (my alter-ego) has had a brilliant idea. It all starts with the old bike, called Bikey, which they all learned to ride on and which sits against the old barn behind a bush because no one can bear to part with it. Bikey becomes the first artifact in the soon-to-be-famous Moffat Museum. 

The Moffats life is a peek into a different era of childhood, in which kids have lots of free time and interact, on their own, with the adult world of shop owners and elderly neighbors. 


On My Kindle: 

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart


I decided to check this out for future reference since I read about it on some homeschooling blogs. It seems that it was being read by kids older than mine so I didn't attempt to read it to them. I am glad I chose that route. 

A recent experience with a book from audible (The Candymakers) caused me to be more cautious. We started listening to the book and were all enjoying it when I started to get some hints that the characters in the book had had some traumatic experiences which were going to become part of the storyline soon. A little online research confirmed my suspicions. Though it didn't seem like it was going to be written in a horribly dramatic or scary way, I just didn't think we needed ideas that my worry some of the more sensitive Kennedy kids, or their Mama. 

Well, The Mysterious Benedict Society has a similar storyline. The main characters are orphans, one was abandoned, another ran away from neglectful parents (apparently, but both of those story lines may change) and they are all subject to bullying and mean kids. 

While I am enjoying the kids as spies narrative along with the way the love of truth and the virtues of honesty, kindness, and hard work are valued, I am not sure the kids are ready for it. 

Frankly, I am not sure when a kid is ready to hear about people being mean or cruel to children. We have set aside a number of highly touted among the homeschool crowd (who I tend to trust on these sorts of things for the most part) books due to a storyline of adults or other children being cruel. 

Which explains why we love the Moffats so much! (and the Fairchild Family, and Betsy Tacy and Tib, and the Little House Books…)

In my study bag…

I have a bag of non-fiction books that I am reading and hoping to eventually write reviews about. I won't share them yet except to say that one is about the human body, one is about the Theology of the Body, and one is about the Body of Christ. 

Now, lets hope I actually get around to finishing them and writing about them soon!





1 comment:

  1. Have you read The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright? I think you and yours will love it! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete