Monday, December 8, 2014

Bonding With the Baby Jesus

Unlike the jarring noise of an alarm clock, which only drives me further into my pillow, the cry of a baby in the middle of the night was always enough to get me out of bed quite easily. I may have staggered a bit to the baby’s bed, with half closed eyes and a grumble on my lips, but I would be there just the same. The younger the baby, the swifter my response. 

Even today, with bigger kids, the sound of a child calling at 1AM will still cause me to sit up and probably head upstairs to the bedroom.

But, in the absence of those sweet, needy, voices calling my name, I am most likely to stay in bed as long as possible, assuming I am not hugely impacting the day’s schedule. 

I am not the mom up early and dressed before the kids rise with my Bible in my lap. I am more likely to be the mom still in bed while my kids come in wondering what’s for breakfast. 

Then, during the first week of Advent I was reading a meditation in my Magnificat and the writer talked about the natural, human, specifically motherly response to the cries of a tiny infant. We are drawn to comfort the baby, especially if they are our own. We will rise from a very comfortable sleep and stumble barefoot down the cold hall to comfort that baby. 

And the Christ Child comes in the dark of winter, in a cold, uncomfortable stable and calls to us. 
We can’t help but draw near. 

That reality has moved me this Advent!

The Christ Child wakens me each morning before my early-rising children so that He and I can spend a few moments together. I ask Him each night to wake me early, and He has. 

I may not be a morning person yet, but, so far, I have been able to rise and stumble to my chair, jammies still on, turn on the lights of the Advent Tree, and spend some time with the Babe in the Manger. 

May your Advent also be filled with quiet moments bonding with the Christ Child. 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice image of how-to. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete