Friday, December 2, 2011

Reindeer Games

Speaking of cultural illiteracy...

My three kids just saw the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer cartoon... not the lame one on Netflix, the one I grew up with which we checked out of the library..and here is their analysis:

A: I like the Papa. He didn't want the other reindeer to make fun of Rudolph so he gave him a black nose. The Papa probably had a red nose when he was little, too.

D: (singing the Rudolph song) Dancer and Prancer, Rubard and Cubard...
A: Are those the names the reindeer called Rudolph?

And on the subject of Christmas specials from my childhood, my kids have still not seen The Charlie Brown Christmas special, which was one of my favorites growing up. They have heard the soundtrack, but that is only because it doesn't contain all the meanness. Seriously, those kids are pretty mean to Charlie Brown, and since these Kennedy kids have been pretty sheltered...well, we didn't want to give them any ideas. Know what I mean?

Now, should I introduce them to Frosty and the Little Drummer Boy?....If I do, I'll let you know if they have any profound observations.


1 comment:

  1. It's funny how absolutely mean everyone was to Rudolph including his father and Santa! I didn't really see it to such a degree as a child. We have the dvd amongst a ton of other Christmas movies. Stan loves the Little Drummer Boy!

    ReplyDelete