Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Living in the Land of Counterpane

Just reflecting on the blessings of sick days. 

Since last Thursday we have had a convalescing kid in the house. First D, then A (this is a common train of germs here--D to A often skipping M-we hope). 

Although I hate it when my kids are sick ("Don't say "hate" Mama!"), I am pleasantly relieved when it is a sickness that doesn't involve the stomach. 

I am thanking God for this and for the fact that I know, in a few days, all will be well. I pray and offer my little sacrifices for the mama's and kids who don't have the comfort of assured recovery and minor symptoms. 

Sore throats can be a little difficult to treat (who wants to swallow ANYTHING when your throat hurts) but, so far they have been short lived and have allowed just enough energy for listening to stories, watching and playing on the iPad (kids have it so easy these days!) and quiet play. 

I thought of the poem by Robert Louis Stevenson when I saw this scene yesterday. 


The Land of Counterpane
WHEN I was sick and lay a-bed, 
I had two pillows at my head, 
And all my toys beside me lay 
To keep me happy all the day. 
  
And sometimes for an hour or so         5
I watched my leaden soldiers go, 
With different uniforms and drills, 
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills; 
  
And sometimes sent my ships in fleets 
All up and down among the sheets;  10
Or brought my trees and houses out, 
And planted cities all about. 
  
I was the giant great and still 
That sits upon the pillow-hill, 
And sees before him, dale and plain,  15
The pleasant land of counterpane. 


Watch for more this week about our last Sacramental Prep meeting this past weekend and about my changed opinion of soccer. 


2 comments:

  1. The blessings I find is when, during a very hectic schedule, the illness makes us all slow down. A welcomed blessing. I'm with you on preferring one type of illness over another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes being forced to slow down is always good!

      Delete