Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bedtime Vocabulary Drills


I let A go to bed with headphones and an ipod playing one of her favorites: Barnyard Tales from Apple Tree Farm (we got it in the UK--imagine cute farm stories told with a British accent).

An hour after the kids were tucked in we hear someone on the monitor.

4 year old her: (whining and crying from upstairs)

[I make my way to her room]

Me: What do you want sweetie?

4 year old her: Why did pig get stuck?

Me: Ummm...I don't know.

4 year old her: Do clouds make rain?

Me: Ummm...yes. Now go to sleep. I love you.

4 year old her: Why are your hands cold?

Me: Well, uh, it might be because I am eating an ice cream...which is now sitting on the table by the couch...melting!!

Okay, I didn't say that, but I thought it. Whatever I said, it got me out of there a few minutes later.

Then...10 minutes after that:

4 year old her: (whining and crying from upstairs)

Me: What's up sweetie?

4 year old her: What does clever mean?

Me: It means very smart. Should we take these headphones off? It's time to go to sleep.

After some clever negotiations, another quick science lesson, and a plan to get pig un-stuck, I am back downstairs, hopeful that my little dictionary-to-be will be asleep soon.

1 comment:

  1. cute! I love that age. I do not like watching my baby Mabel growing up so quickly ;(

    ReplyDelete