Sunday, September 8, 2013

My Favourite and My Best Bread Recipe*

Okay, it is the ONLY bread recipe I make. But it is GOOD. 

I got it from this website way back when I lived in Scotland. I was desperately seeking an easy-to-make-at-almost-the-last-minute bread recipe for dinner. So, of course it couldn't involve any kneading/rising/yeast. I came across this and it was in instant hit. 

What it lacks in beauty is made up in flavor and hardiness. It is a great bread to serve along side soup or a salad. It is also great as a snack and travels well as two slices buttered together, stuck in a zip lock bag and brought to the park in your big bag of park stuff. I happen to know this last idea from personal experience. 

If you don't have buttermilk on hand (I usually don't) you can use plain greek yogurt and it is just as good…and has added protein! It makes two good sized loafs and they freeze quite well. 

Enjoy!


  • 4 cups buttermilk or plain greek yogurt 
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Pour in buttermilk, and stir until all of the dry mixture has been absorbed. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared loaf pans.
  3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Serve warm. Store leftover bread wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. This reheats well.

*The title (including the spelling of "favorite" is meant to remind you of Charlie and Lola. Well, at least it reminds me of Charlie and Lola. 

No comments:

Post a Comment